With a week left in January, I'm still getting accustomed to life in Ohio. My roommate and coworker, Lauren, and I arrived about three weeks ago and received quite a seasonal welcome- subzero temperatures and the Ohio State campus closed for two days back-to-back. Furnishing our apartment, shopping for groceries, and exploring the city proved to be more challenging than expected. We made it through our first week without getting frostbite which is a win in my book! I do have to say that two southern girls fighting the snow is probably pretty humorous for local observers.
We're in the midst of prepping for our soon-to-be colony of Gamma Phi Beta here at The Ohio State University. Working on a stationary project this semester is a big change from the previous CLC work I was doing, but I am having a great time. My sorority experience has really come full-circle in that I am now offering a life-changing opportunity to unsuspecting women, just as it was offered to me. With the help of two other consultants, our PR period and extension recruitment week is going to be a blast! I can't wait to start teaching, guiding, mentoring, and learning from our newest members, which we'll have on February 9th!
Although I am getting acquainted with Ohio State living and campus norms, I am at the same time reminded of my roots. I love being a Texan and sharing my southern self with these midwestern folk. :) Who knows, I may actually become a snow-pro come April.
To staying bundled,
-JY
