First stop... Leadership Development Institute in Scottsdale, Arizona on June 24th.
My first trip on the job is quickly approaching and all I can think about is how ready I am to start my role as a CLC. Ready for my new beginning. And ready for challenge.
My brother just graduated from Frisco High and starts his college chapter at UTD in the fall. Being the amazing big sister I am, I attended his commencement ceremony. Listening to the inspiring speeches about future endeavors got me thinking about my own ventures. As some of you may already know, I'm a pretty reflective person and love discovering insight. So as my thoughts rolled on about high school successes and my TCU experience I asked myself a question, "What is your challenge?" What, for me, has been challenging? What will continue to be challenging? And how do I feel about these things? An easy answer would be school. But school has never been that difficult. Throughout the years I've proved to be a consistent A/B student and I really didn't have to work that hard to keep it that way. I never strived for a 4.0 because it wasn't truly that important for me to say, "I got all A's!" School wasn't my challenge because that wasn't how I gauged my success. For as long as I can remember I've wanted more out of this life. Wanted to become more, wanted to do more, wanted to push myself to see how far I could go. Gamma Phi Beta has truly allowed me to make progress with these broad and undefined desires of mine.
I joined the Zeta Chi chapter at TCU in the spring of 2010. Spring recruitment isn't the traditional way to "rush" and it can be hard to integrate the new members... But I was thrilled to be a part of the organization and really didn't have any expectations. By fall of 2010, I was running for an officer position. Believe it or not, I wanted to be on the Executive Council as Membership Vice President and manage formal recruitment (even though I hadn't experienced it myself). High aspirations right? Especially for a sophomore who hadn't even been in the chapter a year yet... haha. However, my passion and dedication were apparent and I was elected to the new Assistant MVP position (which hadn't existed the year before). From there my path took me to Membership VP and my love for Gamma Phi Beta increased exponentially. Applying for CLC seemed to be the next logical step. And here I am! Once again moving forward in an organization I dearly love.
My challenges have been personal... To witness to personal growth. To always be the best version of myself, even if I don't quite know what that is yet. To be happy, comfortable, and confident in my own abilities. To inspire and encourage others. To help them love their life, just as I am learning to love mine. I am happiest staying busy and active and helping others. I am excited and anxious to start working because I get to make strides towards all these things. I am hoping LDI and the rest of my CLC training refines my leadership skills and offers new learning experiences. Because my challenge, and what will always be my challenge, is to do more in this life. That's where my success lies.
To pushing boundaries,
- JY